WELCOME

Greetings in the name of Jesus! This is a continuing effort on my part to make available to family, friends, and any other poor unfortunate souls that run across this, some of the thoughts that run through my mind regarding sermon preparation, newsletter articles, random thoughts (of which there are many), and generally how God is working in my life. I hope to post at least once a week but I'm not promising that.

So welcome to it.

Post Script:
A couple of people have asked me about the address. When I was putting this together I was preparing for sermons from the 6th chapter of John where Jesus refers to himself as "The Bread of Life" and these are passages that I strongly identify with. So artos is bread and zoe is life (roughly) and to quote Forrest, "That's all I have to say about that."

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hey Mr. Kotter... Welcome Back

It's good to be back from vacation. It may sound weird but I really missed the discipline (regardless of the fact that it may appear to be undisciplined) and routine of normal everyday life. I had a good time getting to know my wife's family in NY better (I've only been out there about 5 times in our 28 years of marriage). Weddings (and yes, even funerals... but isn't it really the receptions that follow both) provide us with the opportunities to share our lives. And at their best, allow us to set aside the things that seem to separate us regardless of whether it's mileage, politics, faith or whether or not you should be out conditioning and bailing hay a little quicker (that one was for my father-in-law).

I guess I'm reflecting on this because of the lectionary text from Mark for this coming Sunday (Mark 7:24-30) where Jesus is trying to get away from the crowds by going into the non-Jewish area of Tyre (for a little vacation maybe?); but even there people recognize him and a woman whose daughter is possessed comes to him beg him for his help to which Jesus replied, "Let the children be fed first, for it is not fair to take the children's food and throw it to the dogs." Then she answered him in this way, "Sir, even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs." Then Jesus healed her daughter. One of the lessons of this account is about overcoming barriers or differences that separate people--but specifically how we are able to accomplish it through our faith in Jesus. Jesus becomes the common ground that we share as we come to know him and share in his life. It's true for our individual lives and our life as the church.

Anyway, it's good to be back... and just think, I didn't even need a note from Epstein's mother. (for those of you who don't understand any of those references go ask somebody who watched TV in the 1970's... I know, I'm old)

No comments:

Post a Comment