WELCOME

Greetings in the name of Jesus! This is a continuing effort on my part to make available to family, friends, and any other poor unfortunate souls that run across this, some of the thoughts that run through my mind regarding sermon preparation, newsletter articles, random thoughts (of which there are many), and generally how God is working in my life. I hope to post at least once a week but I'm not promising that.

So welcome to it.

Post Script:
A couple of people have asked me about the address. When I was putting this together I was preparing for sermons from the 6th chapter of John where Jesus refers to himself as "The Bread of Life" and these are passages that I strongly identify with. So artos is bread and zoe is life (roughly) and to quote Forrest, "That's all I have to say about that."

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Life Transformation Groups

If you look over to the “Things I have been reading” section you’ll notice several books by Neil Cole. He has, what I feel, is a very healthy perspective on what we should be about as God’s people and he’s challenged the way that I view my own ministry within a mainline denomination. Included in each of his books is a disciple making process that in reality is not new to the church, especially Methodism. He calls them Life Transformation Groups. Rather than go through a whole description of them follow the link in the last sentence. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

What he doesn’t include in the description of these groups but is implied is what Wesley called his classes and societies to engage in: “There is only one condition previously required, in those who desire Admission into these Societies, a desire to flee from the Wrathe to come, to be saved from their Sins: But, whenever this is really fix’d in the Soul, it will be shewn by its Fruits. It is therefore expected of all who continue therein, that they should continue to evidence their Desire of Salvation, First, by doing no harm, by avoiding Evil in every kind; especially, that which is most generally practised: Secondly, by doing Good, by being in every kind, merciful after their power, as they have Opportunity, doing Good of every possible sort, and as far as it is possible, to all Men: Thirdly, by attending upon the Ordinances of God: Such are the publick Worship of God; The Ministry of the Word, either read or expounded; The Supper of the Lord; Private Prayer; Searching the Scriptures; and Fasting or Abstinence.” Rev. John Wesley 1742-43

The implication being that we need time to spend time in worship, observing the sacraments (especially the Eucharist), and personal ministry and mission (Christian service or in Wesley’s words… doing good).

The discipleship group that I belonged to, and which helped me come to faith in Christ, applied Wesley’s principles in this covenant: 1) A minimum of 30 minutes per day used in personal devotion. During this time I will read and study Scripture being open to God’s Word, I will pray for Christ’s Church, for others, for myself, and I will contemplate God’s will in my life. If I find that I can give more than the minimum I will seek to work toward giving a tithe (10%) of a working day. 2) A weekly meeting with a covenant fellowship of like-minded disciples and I will pray for these disciples by name every day. 3) A daily form of worship with my family that glorifies God and encourages one another. 4) Fasting one meal per week, if possible, and using the time for prayer that would have been used for eating; and giving the amount of money saved by not eating to some Christian ministry. 5) Stewardship of all my gifts, talents, and resources; including my wealth. I will strive to tithe (10%) of my gross income to the glory of God. 6) Participation in Sunday morning worship and Sunday School except when not possible. 7) Begin and end each day with prayer.

We can tailor the specific activities of each group but Cole’s emphasis, in my opinion, needs to be at the core.

As I thought about the challenges that face many mainline churches these days I have become convicted more each day that we (a corporate we) have not been focusing on what Jesus focused on. Mainline churches often approach things from what I call a blanket perspective—we develop and implement programs to reach or cover large numbers of people. Jesus didn’t focus on that. It’s not that he didn’t do it (the sermon on the mount, feeding of the 5,000), but that was not the primary focus. His primary focus was on his disciples (even in the above examples) and of those, the Gospels tell us that often Peter, James and John got more one on one time with the Master. I believe Life Transformation Groups provide us with a process by which we can achieve what God is calling us to do: to know Jesus and to make him known.

For those of you who have been listening to my preaching over the last 6 to 7 months this should sound kind of familiar. For others I hope and pray that it sparks a new or renewed passion and desire to grow in the spiritual disciplines of our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment